Sunday 31 January 2010

Gloucester NSW

A bit of history.....To the west of Gloucester are the picturesque Bucketts range and to the east the Mograni Range. The name 'Bucketts (Buckan Buckut)' is derived from the Kattang language spoken by the original Biripi and Worimi Aboriginals and it is believed to mean 'father of stones looking down on to sacred land.'

The A. A. Company (Australian Agricultural Company) were among the first Europeans to arrive in the Gloucester area under the leadership of Robert Dawson in around 1826. From 1847 the company began selling land lots in the Gloucester area and farming settlement began to occur. The town of Gloucester had its beginnings in 1855.
Yesterday's journey to Gloucester Falls was not completed due to roadworks. I unfortunately arrived at the turn-off to find it closed with a detour 2 klms further up the road that was used when the road was flooded.
I sat on the side of the road reviewing my map and pondering for a few minutes.
I was feeling adventurous, and I had already travelled about 50 klms, the last approx 15klms being dirt road.
In the end I decided to follow the detour.
After 2 klms I found the detour sign, pointing to a closed gate that looked like someone's property that went up a very steep hill. The gate was closed to keep their livestock from escaping, but I decided to forge on ahead and see where it would lead me.
I would plan to go back to Gloucester Falls before I leave.
I had the map which gave me an idea of where the dirt roads led, so I headed in the direction of Barrington Tops which is another place I will visit. You really need a day at the Barrington Tops as there is so much to see and it is quite the drive.
The image above was around 15klms past the detour sign. The view just opened up to this expanse of simplistically stunning countryside in every direction.
Every hill and corner I turned it just took my breathe away. I would not have been booked for speeding yesterday, that's for sure!!! I had to keep pulling over just to soak it all in. Truly amazing.

I ended up about 17klms away from the Barrington Tops, when I decided to turn off up what I would refer to as a "bush track"!
Well the view changed to good old Aussie bush, heavily treed, I went up a very steep climb and it levelled off once I got to the top. I'm glad I didn't meet anyone travelling in the other direction as it was a steep drop off the side and not enough room for two vehicles.
There is so much wildlife, there were many beautiful birds including alot of King Parrots. They are very easily spotted due to their bright colouring.
There are alot of very pretty river/creek crossings along the way.
As I got closer to Gloucester on my return the countryside opened up again into the more tree cleared undulating pasture. A storm formed behind me as I headed for town.

 
Back to Home

No comments:

Post a Comment